Today the Florida Panthers announced that their 15th head coach in franchise history would be Bob Boughner. Here are some fun facts about the new sheriff.
- He is an OHL Team Owner- Boughner led a new ownership group in purchasing his struggling hometown Windsor Spitfires in 2006-07. Boughner would go behind the bench of the Spitfires from 2006-07 until he was hired as an assistant by Columbus in 2010-11. After one year with the Blue Jackets, he returned to Windsor until he was hired by San Jose as an assistant in 2015-16. He is still the President and CEO of the team.
- His Nickname- Boughner’s nickname is “The Boogieman”
- Former Panther Player- Boughner is the first head coach in Panthers franchise history to have also been under contract previously as a player. The Cats signed Boughner in 1994. He never played a game in a Panther uniform instead playing in the Panthers farm system until he was traded to Buffalo on February 1, 1996.
- Former Teammate of Jaromir Jagr- Boughner is only eleven months older than Jagr. The two played together in Pittsburgh in 2000-01. He had 147 PIM that year.
- Defensive Coach in San Jose- The San Jose Sharks have one of the best defenses in the NHL thanks to Boughner. They have one of the best offensive defenders in Brent Burns and one of the best defensive defenders in Marc Edouard-Vlasic. With the Cats Defense not doing well last year, Boughner will hopefully fix it.
- Hometown Buds- Panthers Defenseman Aaron Ekblad was born in Windsor. While Ekblad mainly resides in Belle River, the two have known each other for a long time.